Creamed peas are a classic side dish that can add a touch of elegance to any meal. This creamy and rich dish is perfect for any occasion and can be made with just a few simple ingredients. If you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe that’s both delicious and nutritious, then you’ve come to the right place.
One of the key benefits of making creamed peas is that you can easily use canned peas. Canned peas are a convenient pantry staple that can be used to create a variety of dishes. Not only are they affordable and accessible, but they are also a great source of dietary fiber, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals.
In this article, I’ll be sharing with you a simple and easy-to-follow recipe for how to make creamed peas using canned peas. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a beginner, this recipe is sure to be a hit. So, let’s get started!
List of Required Ingredients
- 1 can of peas (15 oz)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Explanation of Why Each Ingredient is Necessary
- Canned Peas: Using canned peas in this recipe is convenient and time-saving. They are cooked and ready to be used right away, saving you the time and effort of having to cook fresh peas.
- Unsalted Butter: The butter adds richness and flavor to the dish, while unsalted butter ensures that you can control the saltiness of the dish.
- All-Purpose Flour: Flour acts as a thickener and helps to create a creamy consistency.
- Milk: Milk is essential for creating a creamy texture and flavor. Whole milk is recommended, but you can use any type of milk you prefer.
- Salt: Salt enhances the flavor of the dish and brings out the natural sweetness of the peas.
- Black Pepper: Black pepper adds a slight kick to the dish and complements the sweetness of the peas.
Suggestions for Substitutions or Additions
- You can add chopped onions or garlic to the recipe for added flavor.
- You can use vegetable or chicken broth instead of milk for a different flavor profile.
- For a richer and creamier dish, you can substitute heavy cream for milk.
A. Step-by-step instructions for preparing the canned peas
To prepare the canned peas for creamed peas, you will need to follow these simple steps:
- Open the can of peas and drain the liquid.
- Rinse the peas under running water to remove any excess salt.
- Add the peas to a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring the water to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook the peas for 3-5 minutes or until they are tender.
B. Tips for achieving the perfect texture
To achieve the perfect texture for your creamed peas, you will need to pay attention to a few key details. First, make sure that you don’t overcook the peas. Overcooking can result in a mushy texture that is not desirable. Second, make sure that you drain the peas well after cooking to remove any excess water. Finally, use a potato masher or immersion blender to puree the peas to the desired consistency.
C. Recommendations for seasoning
When it comes to seasoning your creamed peas, you have a variety of options. Some people prefer a simple seasoning of salt and pepper, while others like to add herbs and spices for a more complex flavor. Some popular seasoning options include garlic, onion powder, thyme, and rosemary. Experiment with different seasonings to find the combination that works best for you.
Recipe for the Cream Sauce
To make the cream sauce for your creamed peas, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add the salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Continue to stir until the sauce thickens, about 5-7 minutes.
Explanation of How to Incorporate the Canned Peas
Once the cream sauce is ready, it’s time to incorporate the canned peas. Drain the canned peas and add them to the saucepan with the cream sauce. Gently stir until the peas are coated in the sauce. Cook the mixture over low heat for an additional 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Suggestions for Modifications
If you want to switch up the flavor of your creamed peas, there are a few modifications you can make to the cream sauce. For example, you could add a pinch of nutmeg or thyme for an extra burst of flavor. You could also experiment with different types of milk, such as almond milk or coconut milk, for a dairy-free version of the recipe.
Additionally, you can adjust the consistency of the sauce by adding more or less milk or flour. If you prefer a thicker sauce, add more flour. If you prefer a thinner sauce, add more milk. Overall, this recipe is very versatile and can be customized to suit your preferences.
Creamed peas are a versatile side dish that can be paired with a variety of main courses. Here are some ideas for serving creamed peas:
Ideas for serving creamed peas
- Serve creamed peas as a side dish with roasted chicken or turkey.
- Use creamed peas as a topping for baked potatoes or shepherd’s pie.
- Mix creamed peas with cooked pasta for a quick and easy pasta dish.
- Serve creamed peas with grilled or roasted vegetables for a healthy and delicious side dish.
- Pair creamed peas with a light white wine, such as a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
- For a heartier meal, pair creamed peas with a full-bodied red wine, such as a Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot.
Tips for storing leftovers
- Store any leftover creamed peas in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, simply place the creamed peas in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- If the cream sauce has thickened in the refrigerator, simply add a splash of milk or cream while reheating to thin it out.
In conclusion, creamed peas are a delicious and nutritious side dish that can be made using canned peas. Not only are they easy to make, but they are also a great source of dietary fiber, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals.
By following the simple recipe outlined in this article, you can easily whip up a batch of creamy and rich creamed peas that are sure to impress your family and friends. Remember to use high-quality ingredients and season to taste for the best results.
If you’re looking for more recipes and tips on how to incorporate peas into your meals, be sure to check out peasbenefits.com. With a wide range of recipes and articles on the health benefits of peas, you’re sure to find something that suits your needs.
So, what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try and enjoy the delicious and nutritious benefits of creamed peas made from canned peas.